Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Porch light controls: how do they work?

REMOVE REMOVE Tom wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 07:09:32 -0500, "David E."
wrote:

Tom,

Thank you so much; I was wondering why the lights seemed to get brighter and
dimmer, seemingly without rhyme or reason!

I do have a question regarding switch 2. Just to make sure I understand: if
I set them for 6 hours, that means that they will stay on automatically for
6 hours (on the dim setting) beginning at *dusk*, right? I.e., I don't need
to program any sort of start time; the start time is always dusk?

That is correct. In Winter when it gets dark around 5:00 or so the six
hour setting would keep them on until around 11:00 - Midnight while in
Summer it may run until 2:00 - 3:00 AM.

Also, do you think that there might be a way to increase the angle of the
motion detector? I actually wouldn't need the nightlight feature at all if
the light came on when I approach the porch from a wider angle than that at
which it currently activates.

Hard to say without seeing the fixture but it's not likely. Most are
built into the fixture and are not adjustable. You might take a look
at the sensor to see if there is any way it can be aimed but if so,
you can probably just aim it a little to one side or the other. I
would imagine that the actual angle is fixed. If it's a real problem,
you could replace it with a unit that has a separate sensor that is
adjustable but they aren't real attractive.

The angle no. But most have sensitivity controls and some also have a
range booster switch.