Posted to alt.home.repair
Gm1234 Gm1234 is offline

Default Electric baseboard heating problem

He should first check to see that he has 240 volts on that circuit at the
panel

OK, thanks for input - Problem is resolved!

Because heating circuits are not clearly labeled on fuse panel, I did not
know which one the problem heater was on. Today I pulled all heater fuses
(They are in double-fuse holders with hinged cover to prevent removal of
individual fuses). I now did not have 110v to ground at the wall
thermostat. We then plugged the fuseholders in one at a time until the 110v
re-appeared. So we found which circuit the heater was on..

I tested problem circuit fuses by using resistance meter across the brass
forks of the fuse holder and it showed continuity for both pairs. But, when
I removed the fuses, one was bad! This despite it showing no sign of having
blown - fuse strip was still intact - problem must have been internal.

Anyway, a new fuse solved problem - I guess next time I should remove each
fuse from holder, but still don't understand why testing across the "prongs"
showed no problem!

Existing main panel is Amalgamated Electric Cat No 200-4240 combination
service entrance/panel 200A with 19 double fuses and one large fuse pair for
range. There are two small sub panels with 6 breakers each that serve areas
that were re-wired at one time. There is another breaker panel in the garage
also fed from the main panel.

Would it be worthwhile considering upgrading main panel to a breaker panel?
Rough cost?

Thanks for all the input guys!