Posted to rec.woodworking
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default Soon to be Shop FS

"Dob?" as in

A telescope with a Newtonian optical design, that uses a Dobsonian
mount.
Invented by John Dobson, the Dobsonian mount is a relatively
inexpensive
Alt-Az mount, which allows the primary investment in a telescope to be
vested in its optics. Dobsonian mounts have their greatest value at the
two
ends of the spectrum of telescope mounts: they allow beginners to enter
amateur astronomy with less of a financial investment, and also are the
only
affordable mount for amateur astronomers who want a scope with a very
large aperture (say, 14" and larger). Being non-computerized Alt-Az
mounts,
Dobs do not track celestial objects and must be moved by hand to keep
an
object in the field of view of the eyepiece, which can be somewhat
difficult
with a big Dob and a high-power eyepiece especially if the scope is
aimed at
the zenith (tracking can be added to a Dob but this tends to get
expensive).
On the other hand the view of a DSO such as a nebula through a large
Dob
can be breathtaking, which can lead to the expensive amateur
astronomer's
disease called aperture fever.

I'm missing the point. Please elaborate.

On Jan 1, 9:16 am, Bob Schmall wrote:
Never Enough Money wrote:
Wish I lived close to you. I'd be interested in the Laguna bandsaw and
the 15" planer.To build your next Dob?