Posted to rec.woodworking
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default angles: trig help

Funny story on that subject:

On of my aspiring architectural drafters was trying to make a model of his
project with a 6/12 roof slope. The roof just wouldn't work out.

After lots of investigation, I found out that he had reasoned that if a
12/12 slope gives a 45 degree angle, a 6/12 should give a 22.5 degree angle.
He just couldn't see my arguments to the contrary.

The only way I convinced him was to ask him to draw a roof slope at 24/12,
and see if it produced a 90 degree angle....

Old Guy

oe" wrote in message
. ..
I want to double check some wedges I've made for angled cuts. In a 24"
long wedge, how much gain on the square corner is there for each degree of
angle?

I know the method is rattling around back there amongst the unused and as
yet unkilled brain cells but I can't seem to come up with it.

Thanks to the more mathmatically inclined.

jc