Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric baseboard heating problem

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:56:19 -0500, "Gm1234"
wrote:

"mm" wrote
We have a bedroom in attic that we seldom use. But with holiday

houseguests
it is getting use. But, the electric baseboard heater is not working.

BTW, has it ever worked? How long have you lived there?

Good Question! and the answer is YES it has always worked in the past, but
we had not checked it this winter until now.

Hard to believe it used to be connected to the right phase, and it
moved during the summer.

This should answer most of the suggestions (I appreciate them!) - We have
lived here for 30+ years - The panel has not been modified during that time
nor the bedroom's wiring.

I understand how the voltages would be as measured if somehow both hots were
being fed from same phase - But at a loss to know how this could be.

We did have some bathroom rewiring done this past summer, but it should not
affect this area. But you never know!

That is undoubtedly the reason. How, I have no idea.

You didn't answer my previous post. Is it permanent heating or space
heating? More importantly, do you know that it is 220, or might it be
110?

If it were 110 and the heat is on, but the white is broken some place
between the thermostat and the fusebox, then you would get 110 at both
the whiite and black between ground, but 0 between white and black.

Although white is usually neutral and at ground potential, when the
white wire is broken, the 110 potential will flow from the black
through the appliance to the portion of white closer to the appliance.
It's all at the same voltage when there is no current flow.

Come to think of it, this would all be true with 220 also. In 220
only 110 comes from each conductor. Maybe the fuse or breaker, or
wire, for white or black, is blown, tripped, or broken. That would
account for your symptoms.

Graham