Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson Wilson is offline

Default angles: trig help

OOPS, maybe a little doubt would be good on this one.
G/HYP does = SIN X, but you have two unknowns, since the base is fixed at
24.
G = HYP*SIN X doesn't help, since we don't know the hypotenuse.
As Tin said, TAN X = G/24, so G = 24 TAN X.
I hope I'm not too sleepy to get this right.
WL
wrote in message
In article ,
Joe wrote:
I want to double check some wedges I've made for angled cuts. In a 24"
long
wedge, how much gain on the square corner is there for each degree of
angle?

I know the method is rattling around back there amongst the unused and as
yet unkilled brain cells but I can't seem to come up with it.

Thanks to the more mathmatically inclined.

jc

What do you mean by "gain" ? If you mean, for a right triangle with
angel A between the hypotenuse and a 24" side, that the "gain" is the
length of the side opposite angle X, then the change in the length of
that side is not a linear function wrt the angle X. However, it will
be equal to 24 X sine(A)

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -