Posted to alt.home.repair
indago indago is offline

Default Electric baseboard heating problem

061231 2102 - Gm1234 posted:

"dpb" wrote

Big Al wrote:

It indicates one leg is open. The 120 is passing thru the element.

Depends on where he's measuring, but possible, yes. Thought OP
indicated directly across feeds, but if not...

I measured zero volts across white/black hot wires at feed to wall
thermostat and also at feed to heater itself. At both places, I read 110v to
ground from either hot wire.

Graham

Disconnect the power to the heater at the panel, and then disconnect the
wires at the heater. Then, reconnect the power to the circuit at the panel,
and turn the thermostat all the way up. Then, check, with your voltmeter,
across the two wires at the heater. Also, check each one to ground. The
one that shows 0 to ground is the one that is giving you the problem. If
the system was working before, it should work now, except maybe a fuse has
blown, or, when the remodel was taking place, the wire got cut somewhere
along the line.