Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn TinWoodsmn is offline

Default angles: trig help

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
I want to double check some wedges I've made for angled cuts. In a 24"
long wedge, how much gain on the square corner is there for each degree of
angle?

I know the method is rattling around back there amongst the unused and as
yet unkilled brain cells but I can't seem to come up with it.

Thanks to the more mathmatically inclined.

jc

Assuming the 24" side is included between the right angle and the angle to
be incremented, and the 24" side and the 'gain' side are at right angles to
each other:

Gain in inches = 24*tangent(incremented angle).

For some angles:
1 deg- .4189516"
2 deg- .8380985
15 deg - 6.4307806"
22.5 deg- 9.5941125"
30 deg - 13.8564061"
45 deg - 24.0000000"
89 deg- 1,374.9590791"
etc.....

Using Windows calculator makes the computation easy once you know the
equation.

Tin Woodsmn

Happy New Year to all of the Wreckers....