Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke Tyke is offline

Default angles: trig help

I am not going to attempt ASCII art.

If by the "square corner" you mean the two sides of a right angle triangle
which are orthogonal (90 degree angle between these sides, then the formula
is

Height = Length * Tangent(opposite angle).

For Length = 24 inch and opposite angle = 1 deg, then Height = 0.418922

If you have MS Excel, then you can enter a formula
Cell for Height = =Cell for Length*TAN(RADIANS(Cell for angle))

For some strange reason MS designed Excel to use RADIANS in angle functions
instead of degrees where 180 deg = PI Radians.

Dave Paine

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
I want to double check some wedges I've made for angled cuts. In a 24"
long wedge, how much gain on the square corner is there for each degree of
angle?

I know the method is rattling around back there amongst the unused and as
yet unkilled brain cells but I can't seem to come up with it.

Thanks to the more mathmatically inclined.

jc