Bob Engelhardt

Default HF hits and misses, was: A new low in cheap tools?

There are a lot of temptations in the HF catalog. Of course, the
particular item may be a bargain in that it's poor quality, but is still
inexpensive for what it is. Best example: the famous 4 1/2" grinder.
Or the item may be just be a POS that's overpriced at any price. Or
anywhere in between.

I've taken the chance and gotten stuff that's all over this
"dimension". Sometimes I knew from what I'd heard here. Most of the
time I wish that I'd heard about it here. So here is what I have to say
about some of the things that I've gotten at HF.

The Bargains (well worth the money):
- the 4 1/2" angle grinder ($12)
- the compact bench bender ($50)
- 6" digital calipers ($20)
- 440/880# electric hoist ($75)
- 1/2" air impact wrench ($20)
- air sheet metal shears ($40)
- 10" carbide circular saw blade ($15)
- nitrile gloves ($7)
- air impact hammer set ($10)
- 40 pc socket set ($2!! - I know, this should be in the POS category,
but it hangs out in the car for when I need to take something apart at
the dump and then it's worth it)
- free shipping ($30, $40, or $50 order, depending on current promotion)

Satisfied, but nothing to gloat about:
- a couple of Pittsburgh socket sets
- 6 & 11" swivel pad vise-grip knockoff's (11" is really useful)
- 15' ratchet tie-down

The POS's:
- air sheet metal nibbler (the "tooth" broke 1st time I used it)
- laser level (divergent beam)
- air line couplers (leak)
- acid brushes (skimpy on bristles)
- membership in the Inside Track Club (I saved enough on the hoist to
pay for this, otherwise it's not worth it)

Well, now that I'm itemized my HF buys, I guess that I've been more
satisfied that I thought I was. Where's that latest catalog?

Hope this helps,
Bob