Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electric baseboard heating problem

Assuming the heater is 240 volt, it appears that either you do have one bad
fuse in the circuit, or the two feed wires were inadvertently wired to the
same leg in your panel. Find the origin of this circuit in the panel and
determine that you have 240 volts on the load side of the two fuses that
feed the circuit

"Gm1234" wrote in message
We have a bedroom in attic that we seldom use. But with holiday
houseguests
it is getting use. But, the electric baseboard heater is not working.

We have fuse panels. This particular room's heating is not identified, but
perhaps it shares a circuit with another heater? Anyway, I removed all
fuses
and checked each one. No bad fuses.

The heater is controlled by a wall thermostat - It has white and black
wires
coming to it - The thermostat breaks the white wire only, the black wire
really just passes through. I checked voltages - nothing across the white
&
black on either side of the thermostat. But from either black or white to
ground (the box), I get 110v. Just is case, I changed out the thermostat
for
a spare, but no change.

At heater, it is the same - no voltage between the incoming wires, but
110v
to ground from either side.

Questions:
- If I see 110v to ground from black & white, why don't I see 220V across
these conductors?
- If I see the 110v to ground, does that mean that I do have power to the
heater?

Any suggestions as to how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Graham
Ontario, Canada