Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Leaky Plumbing Under Kitchen Sink

wrote in
ups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in
ups.com:

Sloppy Fix Alert:

They make a 2 part putty for PVC pipe. You mix it together and
press it into the leaky joint. Once it hardens, it seals the leak.

I'll admit that I tried it as a "temporary" fix on the seam of a
PVC trap about a year ago - it worked so well I have yet to replace
the trap!

John Smith wrote:
Seeking advice on following situation. I have a plastic u-tube
connecting the downspout of my kitchen sink, to the next pipe in
the sequence.

I have replaced the gasket and applied TFE Paste to the male part
of the tubing that screws in to the female connector, tightened it
as tight as I dare, and yet it still leaks.

Any advice?

Much obliged in advance,

Self admittedly, I suck at getting them right the first time.
Especially when like under a sink where you ahve two sinks and a
disposer. Lotta joints.

We often look for ways to Band-Aid what we didn't do right in the
first place. I've used dabs of silicone for pin drips. I mean heck,
roofing cement works great for a super hack job.

These connections are typically the slip nut type with a gasket to
seal.

I know.

Pipe tape, dope, silcone, etc are not required.

I know

And IMO,
trying to use silicone to stop where it's leaking is at best a
temporary fix, as the joint is not made up right

I know

and is likely to start
leaking again before long, especially is some bumps some thing against
it.

For MINOR pin drips it works fine. Stood the test to time.

If the joint is properly aligned and tightened, it won't leak.

I know.

In summary I reiterate:

Self admittedly, I suck at getting them right the first time.