Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Nova Nova is offline

Default diamond parting tools

warpedwoodturner wrote:
I got a moderately prices diamond parting tool from Penn State
Industries. Up until now I have never tried to sharpen it but rather
rub both edges on sandpaper lying flat on a workbench. When I hear
diamond I think of something harder than a grinding wheel. Does
anyone know how they make diamond parting tools (micro diamonds in the
steel I assume) and if how they are made makes any difference on
sharpening them? Thanks and Happy New Year

A "Diamond" parting tool refers to the cross sectional shape of the tool
not the material from which it is made. See:

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turn...g_beading.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA