Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Newbie Question - Carbide Tools

wrote in message
oups.com...
Said lathe "came" with a set of Craftsman tools, listed as
"Carbide tipped". Sure enough, they seem to be. Can anyone
suggest the best way to sharpen them? Any particular type wheel, etc?
If they were HSS, I'd be OK. I'm just not sure if carbide has any
particular quirks I need to be aware of...

Use a diamond stone and cone. You can grind them with SiC wheels - the kind
I use for HSS all the time - but you shouldn't have to or really want to.
The stone costs no more than common AlOx, and is cheaper than the soft-bond
type a lot of people use both initially and when replacement time comes.
Which is fairly rapidly with the soft bond.

They want to be kept with short bevels, as they are brittle, which does
limit their peeling ability. Were I in your shoes I'd get a fifty buck set
of eight basic tools and get turning with them, If you don't have diamond
hones, investment would be less, outcome better.

Also, are the carbide tools worth reconditioning? Or would I be better
off obtaining newer, HSS stuff? I don't mind sharpening them, and it
would seem like a shame to throw them out.