Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Cheap and basic kitchen units

wrote:
Paul Ockenden wrote:
I want to fit some really basic kitchen units in the garage. So I
thought I'd pop down to B&Q and get some - I've used them before
and they are prefect for jobs like this: Plain white, doors handles
and plinth all included in the box, and dirt cheap.

Just one problem - couldn't find them in B&Q, and when I asked I
was told that they no longer sold them. ;-(

Tried Homebase and Wickes but they don't sell them either - they
both have 'take away' kitchens but they aren't as basic (and
cheap!) as the stuff that B&Q used to sell.

Does anyone know if any other chains sell the kind of thing I'm
looking for? I'm guessing that it'll need to be someone local - the
weight probably makes it impractical as a mail order purchase.

Howdens, but you need an account. Most of their stuff is
preassembled, but they do a small range of cheapo flat pack stuff
(can't remember what it's called - might be something like technik).

Yes that, the one: fitted some myself only last week. I don't know if
MFI do an equivalent, given that they are are the retail outlet of the
same company as Howdens? (IMHO it's not that hard to blag a trade
account at Howden's although probably not worth it for a one-off...
alternatively if you know anyone (tradesman?) with an account they might
be readily persuaded to order for you, given that their individual
discounts are dependent on overall order volume.

David