Posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Do you want to see if your rebate submissions are causing you to get
unsolicited mail? Try this:

Each time you submit a rebate, make a small change to the spelling of
your name - change the middle initial, spell Robert with 2 b's or 2
t's, etc. Make the changes small enough so you won't have any problem
depositing the checks. Keep track of who you send which spelling to.

If you ever get mail addressed to Robbert and/or Robertt, check your
records and you'll know which company sold your name.

Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:

Bill wrote:

M Berger wrote:

As you know, they use the information for sales solicitations so they
can make more money. See #1 above. Of course they don't want to make
it easy for you to keep them from doing it.

Once again, except for isolated cases, there is no evidence that
this is done.

Bill

You gotta be kidding! You got it backwards. The reason you opt out is so
that your private info is not sold to the marketing companies otherwise
when you sign up for their services you agree to allow the info to be sold.
Next time read the fine print as almost every time you sign up for a
service you have to call/write and request to opt out of your personal
info being sold to all marketing companies.
It's just another way for companies to make money off you by selling
your personal information you had to give to them in order to get their
services.
Frank

Let me repeat again what I have already said in this thread. I
do a LOT of rebates. Except for one company (Peachtree), I do
not get any obvious mail/email as a result of my rebate
submissions. Others have confirmed this in earlier threads.
Unless you can prove otherwise FROM YOUR OWN PERSONAL
EXPERIENCE, please stop making claims that cannot be
substantiated.

Bill