Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default What kind of plaster in 50 year old house?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

This is new construction in an old house. I'm remodeling the bathroom.
Half ceramic tile and half plaster, so I drywalled the whole thing with
Wonderboard and taped the joints with thinset mortar. Now I want a finish
for the plastered parts that (if possible) will match the rest of the
house.

I'll bet they used plaster of Paris when the house was built, because they
used gypsum lath rather than wood lath.

I also have a bag of lightweight sandable setting compound. I'll
experiment with some of that on some scrap Wonderboard.
Best regards,
Bob

I have been there and done that exact thing. I used the Durabond for the
initial skim coat because of its durability. That was all the tiled portion
of the wall got. For the painted portions the final skim coats were applied
using a sandable setting type compound cause I just ain't that good.

It has been 10 years and a lot of hot showers. Still going strong.

Happy New Year.