Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default What kind of plaster in 50 year old house?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
...for the skim coat? Would it be lime putty plaster, or gypsum plaster
(such as plaster of Paris)?

If lime putty, can I use the bag of slaked lime that's been in my garage
for a year or two (but not more than 2), or will it be too carbonated by
now? I *really* doubt that I can find quicklime.

My inclination is to use a setting-type joint compound, like Durabond 45.

Thanks,
Bob

Clean it very well, rinse and dry. The Durabond will work fine.

If you think you may need to sand, a sandable mud will work well also but
will not be as hard of a finish.

Using something 2 years old is begging for problems.

Colbyt