Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default How to kill bugs in cutting board?

wrote:

Another fella suggested using better (non-bug) wood. I think I'll go
that route and fumigate/soak/microwave/radiate this wood for something
else...

OTOH, you might consider another approach to the problem and build the
contraption used for steaming wood in preparation for bending - and
just steam the little buggers right where they are. If you can get
their burrows up close to steam temperature, they (and their eggs)
shouldn't pose any future problems.

That's a good idea. Do you know if there are (free) plans for this on
the net somewhere. I think I've seen steel pipe with fittings and stuff
in a magazine that mentioned building a steam contraption...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Heat kills, you don't necessarily need water
(steam). If this were summer all you would have
to do is wrap the boards in clear-translucent
plastic and set them it in the sun for a few
hours. Heck, you could set the boards in my car
and it would be hot enough to kill the bugs.

You could wrap the boards into a package with
visqueen covering it and run a tube from the car
exhaust into the package. Between the heat
generated and CO it shouldn't take more than 15
minutes to kill everything. OTOH, if your boards
are that buggy?