Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Flourescent tubes - what did I do wrong?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a bunch of flourescent lights with the tubes went bad in my
garage. Some are 48" long ones and some are the U shaped tubes. Since I
had seven sets of lights I have been lazy and waited till now
to replace them after about six of the tubes burned out and 2 that
are immiment (doing the flickering thing and if I turn it off and
back on again it will come up).
Now I bought 10 new tubes and replaced them. But out of eight tubes
only two came on the other six remain dead. It is a little tricky to
get them in and I had to push and twist them into place. I tried
removing them and reseating them again, no luck.

I must be doing something wrong? Are these tubes polarized? or can
it either end go in either socket? Even the U shaped tubes do not
lit up and there were working fine (flickering) before I installed
the new ones. I was pretty careful when I removed them so I don't
think it is likely that I damaged the sockets when I removed the old
tubes.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

MC

Poor contacts are a regular problem. Cheap fixtures are a big problem.
The "shop lamp" fixtures should be considered throw-a-ways.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit