Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about 30a outlets

"Toller" wrote in message
I have to put in two 240v 30a outlets, and plugs.

Is there a difference between 10-30 and 6-30? My limited understanding

is
that 10-30 has a neutral and 6-30 has a ground, and since my application

has
a ground, 6-30 should be correct, but does it really matter since I am

doing
it all from scratch? HD has the 10-30 cheaper, and they don't even have
6-30 plugs. (my dryer circuit has an "uninsulated neutral", which I would
have called a ground...)

If you have the equipment that will be plugged into the receptacles, then
just match the plug. If you will be making up your own I suggest a four
wire outlet (14-30R or the L14-30R twistlock) as that will provide you with
a neutral and a grounding conductor giving you versatility for the future.
Of course you will need four wires for this (2 hots, 1 neutral, and one
ground).

The 10-30 is an outdated receptacle for retrofits. All new receptacles
require a ground.