Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Lights flickering

I arrived home one night last week to find all the lights flickering, at the
time the cooker was on, along with the dryer, heaters, dishwasher etc. The
boiler has been condemned and we are currently using electric heaters and
immersion to supplement the gas fire. Anyway, on entering the garage to see
if I could see anything wrong with the fusebox, there was a very strong
smell of melting bakelite. Turned out, we had overloaded the system and
manage to melt the fusebox. Fortunately we managed to get an electrician out
the next day who replaced the fusebox and wiring with a split consumer unit.

However, when the iron is plugged in the socket in living room , with no
other major appliances on, the lights are still flickering occasionally. The
lights are on a different circuit to the sockets and the fusebox doesn't
appear to be warm. This wasn't noticeable before the meltdown. Is it
possible that the wiring has been damaged elsewhere as well?

Thanks

John