Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default How to kill bugs in cutting board?

wrote:
| I pulled some logs off my log pile to turn into lumber to make a
| cutting board, but naturally there are bugs in the wood... So, since
| this project will be a cutting board and in contact with food, what
| is the best way to kill the bugs and not kill me from cross
| contamination :-) ?
|
| In the past I've put smaller pieces of wood in a microwave to zap
| the little suckers who might be burrowing away inside. The wood I
| have prepared for the cutting board won't fit in a microwave...

Well, the general rule says that if the work grows beyond the
limitation of the tool, then it's time to shop for a larger tool - in
this case, a bigger microwave oven... Perhaps it's time to seriously
consider one of the combination microwave/convection units...

OTOH, you might consider another approach to the problem and build the
contraption used for steaming wood in preparation for bending - and
just steam the little buggers right where they are. If you can get
their burrows up close to steam temperature, they (and their eggs)
shouldn't pose any future problems.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar