Posted to alt.internet.appliances,alt.home.repair

Default My details on "no spin" Kenmore or Whirlpool "Motor Coupling" upgrades, and washer repair.

wrote in message
I read an OPINION that contrary to popular belief, these things do NOT
need to break (to prevent damage) but just provide rubber cushioning
(and maybe from tearing your clothes). The Idea being that the breaker
would trip before damage. I do not know. Yet, I do think a stronger one
is in order.

Not rue. A lot of damage can be done before a breaker trips. Breakers
offer electrical, not mechanical protection. Many products are protected
with breakable couplings, shear pins, or breakaway devices. They are
designed to protect the mechanical parts from damage under unusual
conditions.

I would like to know:
Is an unbreakable coupling part wise? Will the breaker protect?

NO.

Can't we reinforce the plastic; out to the pins?

Do reinforced (commercial) rubber pieces really last longer (assuming
you have the harder rubber)? Wouldn't the plastic just break instead?

There are so many compounds of rubber and plastic that this questionis
unanswereable. Not to say a different design would be better or not, but
just to say plastic or rubber is superior to the other is impossible.

Can anything else be done to help prevent broken motor couplings?

Is it possible that you are overloading the machine? Running it off
balance? Just because the stuff fits in the drum does not mean it should be
loaded that tightly. It may not be the best design, but in any case, you
have to live with it and find a workable solution. Where I work, we have
about 25 motor and pump combinations that have a similar type of rubber
coupling. Some run 24 hours, 5 days a week for years on end. When they
break, it is either from many years of use, or a mechanical problem that
would have been much worse if the coupling did not let go.