Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Time to re-evaluate router-table routers?

My preference is a fixed base without a lift. I currently use a PC 892. It
does have above table adjustment but I don't use it. The reason for fixed
base and no lift is that there are times when it is convenient to change
router bits without disturbing the rest of the setup. With standard base,
you can drop the motor out the bottom. With a plunger or a lift, you can't.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
s.com...
After several postings to the thread "Triton Router - she no start" I
began to think that we need to re-open the oft discussed topic of
routers. I've posted many times to this news group asking about router
lifts. However, I must confess, I never bought one. Now progress has
delivered routers with built-in above the table adjustments.

So

1. Are router lifts a dying breed? If so we should see prices drop
soon. ;-)
2. What's the new "best under the table router?"
3. It used to be conventional wisdom that a fixed base router under the
table was best, but Fine Woodworking (FWW) just selected the Triton
3.25 HP plunge router as the best of the "new breed" of above the table
adjustment routers. What are the reactions from the rec?
4. I wonder what's in the works from Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Festool,
etc.?
5. For us old guys that bought routers before all the above the table
adjustment ideas materialized, would it be better to buy one of the new
breed or buy that long lusted for router lift? I hear router lifts
still have superior precsion.....

Cheers!