Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default req advice: removal of shaft from casing (stubborn)

tg submitted this idea :
I'm trying to remove a pivot shaft from a casing and I'm not having much
luck. At:
http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/shaft/shaft.htm
there are pictures to make things clearer. Is there a tool I can use to pull
this shaft out? What kind of material could I use as vice jaw protectors, but
will still grip the shaft?
Thanks for any help.

Put the unit in the freezer for long enough to get it down to -20 C.
Make up some hardish wood blocks with a V cut in across the grain to
better grip the shaft. Tighten the vice up on the shaft and pour
boiling water over the casing to expand it, avoiding heating up the
shaft.

The casing will expand faster than the shaft, perhaps making it easier
to extract it without damage. An engineer would use dry ice instead of
a freezer.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)