Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Caulking Questions

On 29 Dec 2006 10:55:36 -0800, "Mikepier"
wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:
I need to re-seal my bathtub. I removed all the old caulk because the
guy at Ace Hardware said that new material won't always make a seal
when added to old. Is this correct?

Yes, you should always remove the old stuff.

There are some gaps up to about 1/4" that need to be filled. Should I
first fill these gaps and let the caulk dry, then come back and make a
nice neat seam?

Good information, I was told when in doubt use caulk backer rod. This
can save time, and caulk.

Just sharing what I was told.

The 1/4" gap should be OK to fill with caulk on the first shot. I would
suggest using masking tape on both sides of the area so you will make a
nice even seal with no mess.

Finally, is there a type of caulk that has some chemical that will
prevent mildew? My wife says that if this stuff doesn't exist,
someone should be able to get rich from her idea.

GE makes a caulk that is mold and mildew resistant. I've used it, works
pretty good:

http://www.geadvancedmaterials.com/g...enandbath.html

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com