Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Window Insulation Kit

Hi Pat,

Best wishes to you for the New Year as well.

As mentioned, I installed these kits on both the inside and outside of
each window. The outside kit is protected by a wooden storm; without
a storm window to protect it, the exterior film would be damaged by
high winds and ice and snow.

The supporting tape was applied along the outside edge of the window
frame as shown in the picture below. It's difficult to see this, but
the sticky tape is aligned with the inside edge of the window jam (the
flat surface perpendicular to the window) .

See:
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/8052...indow-kits.jpg

These windows are made up of several smaller pieces of glass held
together in a wooden frame; windows constructed in this manner are
often called "true divided lights" because the glass is "divided" or
separated by these wooden cross members or mullions. By comparison,
most windows made today use a single piece of [thermo pane] glass and
attach "fake" mullion bars to reproduce this look, e.g., snap on
grills. So, basically, with true divided light windows, we have
several individual pieces of glass held together by a structural
framework (i.e., the mullion bars), versus a single piece of glass
with an added (and purely decorative) wood or plastic trim.

In my case, the glass is set back about an inch or so inside the
mullion bar and this provides the insulating air space on both sides
of the glass. Due to the added depth of these cross members, the film
is suspended on top of mullion bars and not the glass itself. In any
event, so long as the outer edge of the window frame has some depth to
it and sufficient width to accommodate the sticky tape, these window
kits will work well.

Hope this makes sense as I explained it.

Cheers,
Paul

On 28 Dec 2006 23:23:53 -0800, "komobu" wrote:

Hi Paul....
Based on your thread, I will install them on my windows...but I am not
following you. Did you put them on the interior and exterior of the
windows? I have storm windows outside...Where would/how would I do
anything to the exterior? Also, I saw your pic and it looked really
nice...but where did you start the coverage? It didn't look like
anything was attached to the frame.

An air space is required. However, these windows are true divided
lights, so the plastic film rests on top of the mullion bars. These
mullion bars provide a one inch air space between the window glass and
the plastic film on either side.

Also, what did you mean by this? What are true divided lights and what
are mullion bars?

Could you please post some more pics if not too much trouble? Thanks
for your help on this and have a nice NewYears...

Pat