Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default New drainage laterals, bad water main pipe discovered

On 29 Dec 2006 04:22:25 -0800, "John Ross" wrote:

:So you have a guy who is doing the work illegally, not
:insured, not bonded, certainly won't handle the permit if required, and
:you will not get the one year labor guarantee that is required for
:contractors in Calif.

One reason I decided to cut loose the company and go with these guys is
that the estimator for the company told me he would not pull a permit.
He said if I want a permit, it would be on me to set that up and pay for
it (the permit fee). He said there are two downsides to it:

1. The fee

2. They envisioned starting the water line replacement today and there
would be a trench in the middle of my lawn and the sod they'd pull back
would have to remain back until the inspector comes around next week to
inspect the work. The inspectors are off until Jan. 2 (Tuesday), so that
means minimum of 4 days. So, the grass would die.

He said it was up to me, and I asked him about the negative aspects of
not having the job permited. His answer was that it wasn't really
important, and I signed the contract with the thought I'd ignore the
permitting process for the water main replacement.

This kind of thing isn't new for these guys - they have been together as
crew for this company for 6+ years, I am told, and I am assured that
they do side work. I'm new to this stuff. Yes, I'm being hustled, but
not at all sure that I'm being taken advantage of or bamboozled. Maybe I
should get some more bids.

Dan