Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stairs

Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:

Now we want to install a new staircase.

I'd appreciate comments on the following:

1. I think the easiest way to go is to buy a ready made-to-measure staircase
and install it. How difficult is it to install ?

"ready made to measure" seem to be the best of both worlds ;-)

Much depends on how "difficult" your stairs are. It it is a standard
height, angle and a striaght run then a ready made kit may be the
quickest and easiest.

Chances are however there is usually enough variation from "standard" to
make having one made to measure, or making your own will be necessary to
get the right fit.

What sort of flight are we talking about? (i.e. rise, going, width,
winders, half landings etc)

2. If I made a staircase, how difficult is it to make?

If you take your time and plan carefully they are not that difficult to
make.

I quite enjoyed doing mine:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

You will need a decent 1/2" router, a jigsaw and a few basic tools.

--
Cheers,

John.