Posted to uk.d-i-y
DOB DOB is offline

Default Loft Room

Hello all
I've just moved into a bungalow which I'm considering putting a loft
room into.I've been trawling through all the loft room posts on this
site and various other sites so I thought I'd throw it open to advice.
The building is a 1972 detached, pitched roof with gables with the roof
apex gable to gable as opposed to back to front.Concrete roof tiles
held up by 10 roof trusses,constructed from 35mm x 150mm timber.The gap
to be spanned is 18ft 6" wide and the joists run front to back and are
approx 30 ft long.(no internal supporting walls)
I plan on putting a floor in that is independent of the present one and
supporting the roof (possibly) with purlins of some form,wether it be
timber,steel or a composite of both.
The problem part is the headroom,at present there is 2m to the bottom
of the rafters which are 150mm,thus I should be able to fit the
required insulation and get a 50mm ventilation gap,so hopefully the
only extra space taken up at the top will be that which the plaster
board occupies.
What I am interested to know is,as I haven't got access to software to
calculate necessary sizes,is it possible to span an 18 1/2 foot gap
with timber ? - if so what would the dimensions need to be,I'd prefer
to work in timber or possibly construct a flitch beam
I only intend on putting one room up there with a dormer at the back
and a velux at the front.The stairs will access directly under the
apex,flush with the wall so will have 2m head room,if the present floor
height remained unchanged.

Is there a minimum requirement for headroom within the room,it wouldn't
be a problem for me as I'm 5'8",but obviously the world is generally
full of taller people than me.

Also - do the fire regs regarding escape route from bottom of stairs to
nearest door to outside apply to bungalows too,ie that any door opening
onto said route is solid.

Thanks