Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Roof insulation question

"Darren Cooper" wrote in message
Hello,

I have 4" roof joists and 4" of insulation in my loft and I want to make

it
either 8" or 10" of insulation. Some of the loft is floor-boarded and I'd
like to floor more for storage etc, do I lay the extra 4" of insulation
in-between the joists and squeeze it in with the loft board or is it not
possible to board over the extra thick insulation?

TIA,

Darren

Compressing the insulation will negate its effect.
If you want to board over an area, start by laying a second layer of 4"
joists at right angles to the exisitng ones and fill the gaps with the extra
insulation. Then lay the boards on top.

Bob