Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air Ionizer Kit

In article .com,
"vauxall" writes:
I have built a few simple air ionizers in the past, all with batches of
100,000 uF capacitors and simple diodes. I am very lazy, I don't want

I can't imagine how a 100,000µF capacitor is used in an ioniser.

to go around and buy all components. I wonder if you know any Air
Ionizer kit that I can order and assemble.
If that is not possible, can anybody recommend me a good (not Maplin!)
diy electronics store in Manchester?

Ioniser kits have existed, and many years ago, design details and
PCBs were published in magazines such as Everyday Electronics
and Elektor, and I'm sure a search would find several.

A difficulty now would be they have to be tested for being within
permitted levels of ozone production, and that's very hard to do
with something like a kit which can be made slightly differently
by each person. The last one I recall seeing in Elektor some years
ago had warnings about not changing anything about the kit or
construction methods, as it would invalidate the testing they'd
had to put the kit through. Velleman is the only kit producer I
can think of with enough volumes to afford this, but they don't
seem to make one as far as I can see.

--
Andrew Gabriel