Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default HOT slowly overheating

On 2006-12-27 07:14:42 -0800, (Ken G.) said:

I`m working on a 9`` Orion tv dvd combo 2003 model , same set as the
Toshibas for those familiar with these . It uses a samsung chassis with
a small size package HOT .
Ths set had HOT shorted and the board under the HOT was browned from
heat .
I replaced the HOT with a good original part from a smashed tv set .
This set now works just fine but after around an hour the HOT tiny heat
sink gets to hot to keep a finger on .

I have ESR tested capacitors in the osc circuit and swapped out the osc
coil but still gets hot . I am suspecting the flyback ?? Comments ?

Looks to me like you need a ring tester for flyback (LOPT)
transformers. Dick Smith makes one that we, and others, sell - if DS
EVER makes any more that is (backordered for a month or two so far!).
Still a ring tester is great, and is a useful tool on the TV/Monitor
repair bench. You can pick up second hand ones on eBay - Sencore and
the like.

We test all our monitors with a ring tester (Bob Parkers design - Dick
Smith sells) before we recap them - saves a lot of trouble.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call