Posted to rec.woodworking
Ben Bullock Ben Bullock is offline

Default Rip sawing photographic misadventures

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"JD" wrote in message
news
After looking at the picture
of dust being vaccuumed away I found I liked the way my European
style saw clears the dust away by itself without need of blowing or
brushing.

Difference between pushing the dust down versus cutting on the pull?

I agree with JD, the sawdust gathering around the line of the cut certainly
is a nuisance. It's been a long time since I used a European style handsaw
(25 years?) so I don't remember very well.

The more critical point though is that the tips of the teeth on your saw
appear very bright, indicating they're rounded. If a saw's teeth are too
blunt you will have trouble controlling the saw and getting a clean
cut. The saw's teeth should provide very little or no reflective surface
and if it does, its time to reach for a file.

They're longer than you're used to, and filed with a different philosophy.
Longer bevels.

I'm not sure which of the two saws in the photos is being referred to by JD,
but if he's talking about

http://flickr.com/photos/bnz/326645156/

then he is right. The cross cut part of that saw is pretty blunt. Funny
because I haven't used it enough that I would expect it to be blunt. In the
photos I'm cutting with the rip saw side of that saw, which I hadn't used
much until now, so the bluntness of the cross cut part doesn't matter. In
the traditional fashion of bad workmen, I blamed that tool for scratching
the cut as shown in the photo and went and bought a new single-sided blade:

http://flickr.com/photos/bnz/334639599/

This blade is made by "Zetto saw" and it cost 1500 yen, which is about $15
in US currency. With a handle it costs 1800 yen. I don't think there are any
problems with this blade. The best closeups I can do of the blades with my
cheapo digital camera are he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnz/336943807/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnz/336944431/

Anyway it seems to cut much very much better than the double sided saw did.
I don't think I'll buy any more double sided saws.