Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default brushless alternator?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:35:09 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

default wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:34:23 -0500, default
wrote:

The capacitor is open circuit so that's an obvious problem

I would also question that . . . oil filled caps don't incorporate
fuses, real oil filled caps are "self-healing" and damn near
indestructible. It is possible, but not likely.

And all caps are open with a DC ohm meter - except lossy electrolytic
types.

Electrolytic caps can also be used in induction alternators and they
can and do fail - the caps have to withstand a high circulating
current - uses no power (ideally) but the current has to flow through
the cap and the cap has to be able to handle that current.

Question it all you like, but the ESR meter shows this 35uF 370VAC
capacitor as open, and a similarly constructed 50uF 370VAC capacitor as
less than one ohm. Using the capacitance range on the DMM the 35 uF cap
reads 15 nF, while the 50 uF cap reads 50.2 uF. I can't imagine any
circumstances beyond an open connection, whether it be a fuse or just a
broken wire inside the capacitor can that would cause this.

Don't get all defensive now. Oil filled caps have been around since
the, well, before I was born and they just don't die - and I've tried.
Got a few in my unreg choke input filter HV supply from the 40's still
going strong.

Some AC motor run caps look like oil filled types bur are dry and a
lot less permanent, and lighter weight - like one sees in microwave
ovens. I'm guessing you might have one of those. Crimped drawn
metal, aluminum case, with a plastic insulator - no elastomer seal, no
porcelain turret connectors and a quick connect, push on connector.
Looks similar to the old oil dielectric caps, but a lot more capacity
and a lot less rugged.

Cap could be all the problem . . . but a 50 uf cap would suggest it is
just there for sine wave smoothing and not a necessary generator part
- but I don't know what your load looks like to the gen either.
Try changing the cap with a new one - that may be all that's wrong.