Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default New drainage laterals, bad water main pipe discovered

On 2006-12-28, Dan_Musicant wrote:

Anyway, he acknowledges that they MAY have broken it. Well, he didn't
deny it when I said that... instead he said that they may have worsened
an already existing leak. I'd conceded that the existing water main was
undoubtedly in a quite fragile state.

Tell them that replacing the service lateral with 1" copper K is about
a $1000 job, and that since they are at least partially responsible
you'd like them to do the job for half that, $500. If they squawk,
offer to add a $100 for installing a house shut off where the new
service connects to the existing house plumbing. If the house
plumbing is galvanized, make sure a 6" long brass nipple is used to
connect the new copper to the old galvanized.

Cheers, Wayne