Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] micks_address@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Chimney Preparation - was -stove or open fire?

Ok folks,

My dad visited yesterday and checked out the flue liner and we removed
the gas fire. We broke away some of the bricks from the back of the
fireplace and all is well. We couldnt get anywhere open yesterday which
stocked firebacks in dublin (all enjoying the holidays i guess) Our
opening is 27" high, 20 inches wide and 15" deep. Will be get a
fireback to fit? I'm wondering whether we should just go to a fireplace
supplier and get them to install the fireback and a new grate etc, The
fire surround is a nice black marble with wooden surround. We dont want
to change that. I looked at a neighbours fireplace this evening and
their opening is only 22" high.. With a low grate our firplace doesnt
look right.. Will see if i can find someone open tomorrow to have a
look around. Maybe we need a higher grate..

Cheers,
Mick

visionset wrote:
"Mike the Unimaginative" wrote in message
.. .

This is exactly what I am at the early stage of thinking about. My dilema
is the chimney. I live in a 'typical' 1930s semi, whose chimney has been
closed off (but has air brick) for at least 25 years.
What I don't know, and can't seem to find out is what I need to get done
to the chimney, and, perhaps specifically, where I can find someone to
ask locally (Leicester), who is neither as clueless as I am, or thinks I
am of the rural landed gentry class (a common misconception round here if
you are asking for anything out of the ordinary!)
Advice (or even discouragement) welcome!

You will definitely need a liner and if you plan to burn anything than
smokeless fuel it has to be min 6" diameter. So first job is to convince
yourself it will fit, because it will be touch and go in your house.

Check out http://www.fluestore.com for prices and parts, they are about the
cheapest.

--
Mike W