Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Exterior door for Bilco entrance....

wrote:
Was thinking about installing a pre-hung exterior door where our Bilco
steps enter our basement. Currently have an old-style tongue and
groove Z-brace door that leaks like a sieve! The rough opening is
perfect for a stock size door (36x80). I was thinking a steel
insulated door, but maybe wood might be the way to go (I assume the
Bilco traps a fair amount of heat in the summer, enough to buckle the
thin steel lining on the door), if I can find a decent wood door at a
decent price (I assume solid wood doors dont come cheap!)

My question is about the threshold. Since it will be a metal threshold
resting on concrete, I assume it will transfer an awful lot of cold
thru the metal. The cold in itself isnt a huge issue, but I also
assume it will start condensing on the warm side. What would be a good
way to try and isolate the threshold from the concrete? Can I just use
the foam strips that go between the wall sill plates and the
foundation?

I also wanted to see the threshold to the concrete for air infiltration
reasons........I was going to use an epoxy caulk, does that sound
correct?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

I have an exterior steel door at the bottom of my Bilco steps. I just
stuffed fiberglass insulation under the aluminum threshhold. I never
noticed any condensation on the aluminum or steel, but I rarely use that
door.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY