Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default New drainage laterals, bad water main pipe discovered

On 28 Dec 2006 00:50:22 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

:my 60 ft water line to the main was one inch copper for $5,000. and
:worth every penny. i should have let them pave the 2 included concrete
:in the driveway, my wife grumbles regularly. i thought i would let
:things settle and pave the driveway a year later. oops.
:i didn't consider replacing the old sewer line because of the rocky
:layout.
:have company #1 owner and your town inspector agree with you on all
:your work. even with a written contract the homeowner pays for the
ermits.
:[or else what would your recourse be if the water line freezes next
:year?]
:your wetness and old broken water line are both your problems, fix
:them.
:then read up on building science at:
:http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm

Thanks. Where I live (Berkeley, CA) it's really a practical
impossibility for my water main to freeze. On the rarest occasions an
exposed water line might freeze. In 1990 we had a low of 27 degrees
overnight, and that was the coldest it's been in probably well over 30
years.

Thanks for the comments. I'll check out that site. I've been there
before but only looked over foundation issues.

Dan