Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
anonymous anonymous is offline

Default Samsung 27" TV doesn't work.

george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
(whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
bad.

Anyways, reflow any poor solder, especially in high heat areas and the
FBT pins themselves. Check any small value fusible resistors in the FBT
secondary side ckts. Look for white, ceramic heat-sink-bodied resistors
near the FBT, 1 ohm or so in value, about 1-2 watts in physical size,
(cant remember the actual ratings.) Check them with an ohmmeter. You
may have to desolder/lift one end to measure properly.

Chances are good it is either that or the FBT its self, as pointed out
earlier.

If you get the crackle of static when trying to power on, it sounds
like the HV is coming up, then going right back down again. One of the
fbt derived low voltages is fed back isomewhere/i, but the fuse
resistor is open. That could be a cheap easy fix that you may be able
to locate without too much extensive troubleshooting skills or
equipment, do not overlook that possibilty.

George Jetson wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in
ups.com:

uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

Positive. It's called a "High Voltage Tripler" on the schematic, and a
picture I found on the internet calls it a tripler.