Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default brushless alternator?

In article oRJkh.5859$6f4.5807@trndny08,
James Sweet wrote:
What I'm curious though is how exactly does this thing work? The
armature has no connection at all to anything. I imagine it must receive
power through induction but how is the output regulated? Is there a
trick to manufacturing these? Given there's no brushes or slip rings I'd
have thought all alternators would be made this way unless there was a
disadvantage.

Presumably the rotor is a series of magnets? Rotate any magnet(s) within a
coil(s) and you can get a form of AC output. DC dynamos have commutators
to give 'pulsed' DC from this. The slip rings in a car alternator are
there so the current in the field windings can be varied thus the output.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.