Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default New drainage laterals, bad water main pipe discovered

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:51:46 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

: Running the new water service would almost certainly require
:a permit. And authorization from the utility.
:
: But at this point in the game.........
:
: If you were even able to get the permit, the inspector
:would see the recent sewer work and have a fit.
:
: I don't have a good answer for that unless the guys you talked
:to can simply go ahead and do it.
:
: Only Type K copper is used where copper is used for service lines.
:
: Be sure to see that electrical bonding jumpers are installed
:around the meter and inside the house.
:
: If you do go with plastic, you will have additional grounding
roblems to solve. No biggie but must be considered.
:
:Good luck.
:
:Jim

Thanks. Well, I don't really know if these guys have gone into a permit
process for my drainage. They are a very old established plumbing and
heating company, and they come recommended, so I just assumed that they
have me covered there. The contract said that their bid did not include
costs of permits. That didn't mean they weren't going to add the cost of
permits. I should have asked them about permits, but didn't. Isn't it
standard for a contractor to do that? I'm going to ask them first thing
in the morning about that. If it was on me to get the permit, they
should have told me so, right? Anyway, it seems to me that at THIS
point it's not too late to have an inspection and be permitted.
Everything is open and visible, they've done no work. The plastic pipe
is out there ready for installation.

I assume you are referring to electrical bonding jumpers in regards to
copper water main installation. Where I am, I don't think they use water
pipes for grounds. However, you may be speaking of them in terms of
preventing electrolysis induced metal decay. So I'll talk to whoever
does the water main replacement about that if they use copper.

My thinking now is to solicit a few bids. Weather is going to be OK the
next week and things are slow here for contractors because it's THAT
time of year. It might help me get some low bids, I'm told by a
contractor friend of mine.

If water pipes aren't used for grounds here I presume that using plastic
isn't problematical from that aspect.

Dan

PS If the inspector has a fit, I think I have a good case for
innosence. It really never occured to me that I'd screwed up there.
Anyway, I'm going to try to make sure I'm OK with that. I'm sure this
plumbing company is fully aware that in my town they now require
certification for the drainage to put a house on the market. Those ducks
have to be in order.