Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default brushless alternator?

I'm working on a generator for someone that recently just quit producing
electricity. On the label it touted the fact that it's a brushless
alternator; this is actually the first time I'd worked on one but I was
expecting much more inside it, certainly some sort of regulator module
but in fact it seems the only parts are a stator very much like that of
a large induction motor, a simple 2 pole armature with a diode mounted
to a heatsink, and a capacitor connected to two of the leads from the
stator. The capacitor is open circuit so that's an obvious problem,
diode checks out fine as do the windings so I'm assuming replacing the
cap will get it going.

What I'm curious though is how exactly does this thing work? The
armature has no connection at all to anything. I imagine it must receive
power through induction but how is the output regulated? Is there a
trick to manufacturing these? Given there's no brushes or slip rings I'd
have thought all alternators would be made this way unless there was a
disadvantage.