Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Comments on Comments

I consider every wood turner to ba an educator. We teach each other how to
turn and we teach the public, including our relatives, how to care for our
product. Remember, the bowl may be art to you but to others it may be just a
bowl. You do not put plastic bowls in a hot oven, but a metal one might be
fine. Wood is different yet. Teach them how to treat it. If you are really
good, you might even teach them how to look at it and feel it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Michael Latcha" wrote in message
Consider, if you will, that these people simply have never held a bowl, or
any eating or cooking vessel or utensil outside of the big soup-stirring
spoon, made of wood... and they have no idea what it can be used for or
how to care for it. Remember, people these days are familiar with mostly
ceramic or steel or plastic plates and "glasses" and utensils, and have
been taught that highest forms of these are both microwavable and
dishwasher-safe.

Yes, I get these questions all the time too, from customers and friends
and family. Use the questions to discuss the history of eating and
cooking utensils, or just simply answer the questions in the spirit in
which they were asked - as a search for knowledge.

If you want them to use the bowls like I do, explain how to do that and
how to care for them. If you want them seen as pieces of art, make that
clear in your explanations. But don't ridicule your friends and family
because they don't know what you know. Teach them, explain to them what
they hold in their hands and they'll appreciate your work... and they'll
come back for more.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

So now the question .... do I have idiots for friends and family or do
people say things like this to you also?

"Is it microwaveable?"
"Is it dish washer safe?"
"Can I wash it in hot soapy water?"
"Will (various foods) hurt it?"
(all comments by different recipients)

Do I have all practical utilitarian friends and family who don't see any
artistic display value (these were really nice bowl forms with nice
finish
...REALLY ) or do you get comments like these also? The only other
bowls
I've given out, were to people who gave me the wood and got some of their
tree back in return. They seemd to view them as a display item.

Jerry