Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Cordless Fon Batt Amps

terry wrote:
wrote:
It seems darn near impossible to find the right battery for my cordless
phone. I have been able to find them under two bucks, but the same web link
lists like three separate amperages for the same battery. I recall something
about peak and mean amperages from ages ago, but might someone update me how
this applies to these kind of batteries. I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9 amps is
the rating for batteries about to explode, but better to ask. (Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

Isn't this just an example of an attitude of 'entitlement'?
We are a 'Plug and play' generation; pick it up, pay for it and plug it
in. No effort or thought required!
That is "One should just be able to go to a store or other source and
right there on the shelf there should be an up to date stock of every
single battery I might need or wish to buy"; no matter what or where or
how much I paid for my cordless phone, 'x' years ago.
Better too to ask a dumb question (one learns more from the many,
mostly helpful, people who inhabit these groups) than try to 'pretend'
one understands voltage, amperage and amp-hour capacities!
Seasons/New Years greetings to all.

No, it's more of a planned obsolescence thing. The various companies
use any number of different configurations of the very same thing, in
order to get us, the consumer, to buy it from them. That's as opposed
to buying it from someone else...or better yet, we can give up on
finding the exact same replacement part and simply buy a whole new
gadget for the lack of availability of a simple part.

I don't know how many perfectly good cordless phones I've bought from
thrift stores and yard sales. All they needed was a battery. I wonder
what minuscule percentage of the discarded, perfectly-functioning phones
this actually represents.

jak