Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Toilet Broken Overflow Tube

Jeffy3 wrote:
z wrote:

I notice you've already fixed it, but I'll answer anyway!
You can usually get hold of the threaded stub with needlenose pliers or
even tweezers, and it's so thin you can just kind of fold it inwards
from the threads to remove it. Sears Hardware sells replacement thread
overflow tubes, both brass (one size only) and plastic (with two sizes
of threads on the different ends). I replaced mine very easily, and
never could get it to stop leaking after that!

Thanks for the response anyway, and for the warning. How apparent was
the leaking? Was it obvious or did it take a while to realize it was
happening?

It was the slow drool, which you could see immediately as minute
rippling in the water in the bowl. Tried removal and replacement, with
teflon tape, no dice; also, all extraneous sealants around the threads.
I assume the threads had also corroded, to the point where nothing
would seal. Ended up replacing the flush valve. Messy but educational,
and relatively quick.