Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Convert 2nd floor bedroom into a master bath

In article , says...
"Bob" writes:

What permits are typically needed in this type of renovation?
Can I submit plans of my own without the help of a Architect/PE?
My background is AS in Architecture (can draw clear plans) and a BS in
Mechanical Engineering but I am neither RA nor a PE.

Any experience/advice would greatly be appreciated.

In my last municipality, any work like that needed a licensed
Architect's signature signing off on the drawings.

My neighbors drew all their own plans and consulted with an architect
to make sure they were doing reasonable/safe things, adn the architect
signed off on it. They saved a bunch of money doing all the
busiwork/drawing themselves and getting the architect to sign off
after reviewing their plans for sanity and safety.

The villages absolutely required a permit for this work, and needed
signed off drawings as a bare minimum.

As you know, your mileage may vary in your locality, but I would say
that it's extremely likely you'll need to involve an architect or
structural engineer somewhere along the way, but that doing your own
plan and drawings will still save you $'s.

I added a garage onto my house in New York. I made the drawings
myself. As long as the construction costs didn't exceed $10K I
didn't even need an architect's sign off. The inspector just told
me what he wanted to see (*way* more than code required).

The bottom line is that every jurisdiction is different.

--
Keith