Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Drilling holes in load bearing beams

"MartyZ" wrote in message
news:386db848e297254dce07633ad6845440@homerepairli ve.com...

I need to run wiring for my home entertainment setup thru an exterior

wall.
This is obviously a load bearing wall and I assume that it's 2x6 beams, I
am not sure what the code is in NJ. This is the first floor of a two
story house and I wood need to drill holes in approximately 3 beems to go
accross a four foot span. I would appreciate any advice on if I can drill
or notch the beams and to what extent. Also these beams are above a
window, so I would also have a header beam to contend with. I appreciate

You can get local information from your municipal
building permit office. The main question is whether
owner-occupiers may make changes that violate the
code for new construction. A second consideration
is whether a non-code change invalidates your
householder's insurance. Not many insurance brokers
know much about fire, building methods and materials etc.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs