Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Drilling holes in load bearing beams

MartyZ wrote:
I need to run wiring for my home entertainment setup thru an exterior wall.
This is obviously a load bearing wall and I assume that it's 2x6 beams, I
am not sure what the code is in NJ. This is the first floor of a two
story house and I wood need to drill holes in approximately 3 beems to go
accross a four foot span. I would appreciate any advice on if I can drill
or notch the beams and to what extent. Also these beams are above a
window, so I would also have a header beam to contend with. I appreciate
all advice.

Thanks;
Marty

Marty-

Here's my reply to a previous thread.....(slightly edited)

Best to drill joists in center of the joist depth, never in the center
1/3 of the span and 6" or more from the bearing ends

Max hole size is 1/3 the joist depth & min edge distance is 2"

From the Inrenational Residential Code 2003 Edition, Chapter 5 Floors,

Section R502.8.1 Sawn Lumber:

"The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed
one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2
inches to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located
in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be
closer than 2 inches to the notch."

this code passage says 2" minimum "meat" between holes...I would
suggest that hole spacing should depend on hole diameter...the code
passage would
allow 3" holes in a 2x10 with only 2" of meat between them ...that
would
make me nervous

cheers
Bob